Monday, January 2

Two-Oh-One-Two

Happy New Year!!

Our work schedules have helped us create a good routine of waking up early and going to be early… but because of this routine, M and I rang in the New Year half asleep this year! I’m not even joking. We barely survived staying up {what felt like a marathon effort} until midnight. We may or may not have almost fallen asleep at 10:30 pm before luckily catching a second wind and making it through the final stretch… Midnight hit and we cheered a little bit, and then fell into bed and were sound asleep by 12:08.

And now it’s 2012!


In my twenty-seven years of life on earth, I have learned a few things about myself. One of those things is that I’m not good at New Year’s resolutions. It’s true. I’m one of those people that has broken them by January 3rd.

Last year, a friend of mine recommended setting a one-word theme for the year rather than a list of detailed resolutions. I loved it! It was a lot easier for me to remember my theme and work towards it with opportunities that arose each day.

My theme for 2012 will be “Content.”

Rumor has it that the secret of happiness is wanting what you have. I have always been a bit of a daydreamer. An excellent quality in a person, in my opinion. I believe that if you dream big, you can live big. Unfortunately, it’s very easy for dreaming to digress from being motivational into merely wishing and wanting for things you haven’t earned. Hence why my goal for 2012 is to be content with the things I have and enjoy life as it is.

And for the record, despite my inability to rock my specific resolutions, I still like to set goals and try my best to become better. These goals will be things I will strive to incorporate into my daily life, but I hesitate to think of them as New Year’s resolutions so that I don’t give up on them after the first day I miss. So here’s my list of non-NYR’s:
  1. Eat less junk food. Yes, that means soda, chocolate, French fries, etc. [a.k.a. all my favorite foods!]
  2. Try to actually enjoy working out. {…then maybe I’ll actually want to do it rather than feeling like it’s a chore. Bleh.]
  3. Take my vitamins more consistently. Yay for nutrients my body needs and probably misses.
  4. Do something nice for M. Every day. On purpose. [And no, the things I should be doing anyway (a.k.a. cooking dinner) don’t count!]
  5. Be better about Temple Tuesday.
  6. Read the entire Book of Mormon this year.
  7. Resist the urge to turn the TV on as soon as I get home from work when I should be using that time to cook dinner or work on a project instead.
  8. Plan social events and be more outgoing. Since getting married, it’s become way too easy to just hang out at home by ourselves. [Time to get out of that comfort zone…]
There we have it – my 8 new goals plus a theme. I truly believe two-oh-one-two is going to be a good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment